The availability of reliable atomic and molecular opacity tables is essential in a wide variety of astronomical models such as the solar and stellar interiors, stellar and planetary atmospheres, stellar evolution, pulsating stars and protoplanetary disks, to name a few. With the advent of powerful observational techniques, e.g. helio and asteroseismology, solar neutrino-flux measurements and exoplanet probes, of 3D hydrodynamic atmospheric simulations that include NLTE and granulation effects, of high-performance atomic and molecular computing and innovative plasma experiments, the accuracy and completeness of the opacity tables are being taken to unprecedented levels.
The Workshop on Astrophysical Opacities (WAO) intends to gather opacity data producers and consumers from both the atomic and molecular sectors in order to contribute to solving outstanding problems and to develop more effective and integrated interfaces. The last time such a workshop took place was at the IBM Venezuela Scientific Center, Caracas, Venezuela, in July 1991. Taken into consideration the success of this first WAO and the huge scientific advancements that have taken place since then in most related research fields, we have been encouraged to organize a second event. The present WAO will be held at Western Michigan University in the very welcoming town of Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA, where everything good is easily within reach. Contributed papers and student participation are specially encouraged.
Since most of the conference is managed online, applicants can register as late as a fortnight before the meeting but, since abstracts will be refereed, the latter must be submitted before the end of May 2017. Therefore early registration is encouraged. So important dates would be:
- Registration deadline: 15 July 2017
- Early registration deadline: 31 May 2017
- Abstract submission deadline: 31 May 2017
Registration fee payment must be made through the WMU Fetzer Center electronic point of sale. The following fee scheme applies:
- Early registration (before 31 May 2017): US$ 350
- Registration: US$ 400
- Student registration: US$ 300
Registration includes: reception; luncheons (1-4 August 2017); coffee breaks; hotel-WMU shuttles; and the book of proceedings. If student financial support is needed, please contact us directly.
Participants are encouraged to book their own accomodation at the WAO official hotels requesting a reduced price:
Radisson Plaza Hotel. A four-star hotel in downtown Kalamazoo within walking distance of restaurants, local breweries, and bars. It offers four on-site restaurants, a heated indoor pool and free airport shuttle by appointment. WAO reduced fee of $129 applies. To book online go to the above link; enter check in/out dates and click "more search options"; select "promotion code for rate type" entering the code WOAO; and click "search" to complete reservation. To book by phone, call the Hotel directly at +1-269-343-3333 or +1-800-333-3333 and request to speak with reservations; ask to reserve a room in the Workshop on Astrophysical Opacities block; and momplete reservation. The latter option must be used if you intend to arrive before August 1st.
- Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-W. A very nice and recently refurbished hotel on the outskirts of Kalamazoo. Indoor swimming pool for exercise and socialising at the end of the day. Free shuttle to downtown is available. WAO reduced fee of $103 applies. Please click on link and put in date of arrival and departure, and then click on “Check Availability”. When using the booking link for your group, do not change the group code box and do not change the rate box. Sometimes it does not work from a cell phone so it is recommend using a desktop. If you would rather book directly, please call 1-800-Holiday and reference Block Code AO1.
- WMU student residence hall. $34 for a single room with air conditioning. Breakfast can be ordered for an extra small amount. Please apply through the registration form.
Proceedings will be published as a book of the ASPCS which is included for each participant in the registration fee. Since we intend to publish by January 2018, author manuscript must be submitted within two months after the end of the meeting. For more complete information go to the Proceedings section of the left-hand menu.